- Assist in the daily operations of the Department of Development Services including but not limited to:
- Responsible for scheduling, inspecting, and recording inspections for residential, commercial, infrastructure, erosion control, clean water, and Stormwater Rule 5 and 13 inspections.
- Responsible for enforcing and explaining the requirements of all International, Federal, State, and Local building ordinances and regulations to contractors and the general public.
- Assist with short-and long-term planning and implementation of all building projects.
- Assist with, as well as ability to review, all construction plans.
- Assist with issuing all Building permits, Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Completion.
- Assist with enforcing all Plan Commission projects, Board of Zoning Appeals, and all Town Ordinances.
- Assist with office duties as needed and understand office procedures.
- Assist with researching, developing, and implementing, and/or reviewing, interpreting, and recommending changes to specification, standards, policies, procedures, codes, regulations, and ordinances that relate to department goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- May be required to participate in local and state initiatives, task forces, events, and related professional committees.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to make practical application of Department and OSHA safety policies and procedures.
- Assist with completion of MS4 for IDEM and EPA Stormwater required tasks such as: illicit discharge response, construction, post-construction, and housekeeping program, and annual report preparations.
- Ability to apply accurate, proper work methods, and techniques, in complying with applicable standards and specifications.
- Ability to coordinate and effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, Director of Development Services, Building Commissioner, Town Manager, Assistant Town Manager, Town Council, other Town Departments, contractors, vendors, and the public, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities.
- Assist with building enforcement, Town Code enforcement, and other miscellaneous issues, and initiates action to resolve valid complaints/requests.
- Attend all meetings and trainings as required.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding Town issues.
- Work requires occasional moderate to heavy lifting with occasional standing, bending, and carrying. Subject to dust, grease, extreme temperatures, severe weather conditions, noise, fumes, vibrations, or moving parts. At times required to work under inclement weather conditions.
- Serve on 24-hour on-call for emergencies including calling in personnel after work hours; and monitoring activity related to Department of Development Services.
- All other duties as assigned by the Building Commissioner or his/her representative. This position will be subject to the rules, policies, and operating procedures established by the Town, as they may be amended from time to time
- High School diploma or equivalent followed by completion of vocational training and/or training in Building Inspections.
- Must have or be able to obtain within a 2-year period, certification of completion from Indiana Association of Building Officials for Residential Inspection Codes.
- Preferred 2-years’ experience as a Building Inspector or substitute 3 years general work experience in a related field such as basic construction exposure/knowledge.
- Preferred knowledge of Rule 5 and Rule 13 Stormwater Management rules and regulations.
- Preferred knowledge of applicable codes and standards, construction standards, erosion control, sediment control methods and techniques, will train if not knowledgeable.
- Preferred ability to read and interpret building plans and specifications, will train if not knowledgeable.
- Must have computer knowledge with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Must have a safe work record with good ethics and dependable attendance record.
- Must have and maintain a verifiable Indiana Driver’s License, a demonstrated safe driving record, and must remain insurable through the Town’s liability insurance carrier.
- Must be able to lift 50-75 pounds with the use of Personal Safety Equipment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org